Preparing to move is both an exciting and stressfull event and it is easy to feel overwhelmed. Use this helpful timeline to guide you through the move to your new home, without forgetting any details.
- 排序和清洗. Go through every room of your house and decide what you’d like to keep and what you can get rid of. Donate items to your favorite charity or plan a moving sale.
- 联系移动公司. Request quotes from several moving companies. Ask them to come out to your home for an on-site estimate so there are no last minute added fees. Does there quote include boxes and supplies? If not, make a note to order boxes, bubble wrap, and tape. Once you have selected a moving company, get written confirmation of your moving date, 成本, 和其他细节.
- 创建一个移动绑定. Use this binder to keep track of everything—all your estimates, 你的收据, and an inventory of all the items you’re moving.
- 组织学校记录. Go to your child’s school and arrange for their records to be transferred to their new school district
- 进行测量. Check room dimensions at your new home, 如果可能的话, and make sure larger pieces of furniture will fit through the door
- 开始包装. Start packing the things that you don’t use very often, like the waffle iron and croquet set.
- Label. Clearly label and number each box with its contents and the room it’s destined for. This will help you to keep an inventory of your belongings. Place a special mark on boxes of items you’ll need right away.
- 单独的贵重物品. Add items such as jewelry and important files to a safe box that you’ll personally transport to your new home. Make sure to put the mover’s estimate in this box. You’ll need it for reference on moving day.
- 文件更改地址. Go to your local post office and fill out a change-of-address form, or do it online at usps.政府. In case there are stragglers, it’s always wise to ask a close neighbor to look out for mail after you’ve moved. Check in with him or her two weeks after the move, and again two weeks after that.
- 通知重要的聚会. Alert the following of your move: banks, 经纪公司, your employer’s human resources department, magazine and newspapers you subscribe to, 和信用卡, 保险, 和公用事业公司.
- 调整. 把你的车开到修车厂, and ask the mechanic to consider what services might be needed if you’re moving to a new climate.
- 加药处方. Stock up on prescriptions you’ll need during the next couple of weeks.
- 包你的手提箱. Aim to finish your general packing a few days before your moving date. Then pack suitcases for everyone in the family with enough clothes to wear for a few days.
- 仔细检查细节. Reconfirm the moving company’s arrival time and other specifics and make sure you have prepared exact, written directions to your new home for the staff. 公司lude contact information, such as your cell phone number.